Monday, April 26, 2010

My newest sewing machine

I thought I'd do a post about each of my sewing machines. Let me brag for a minute--I have two sewing machines and a serger, and I paid a grand total of $0.00 for the three of them. My two machines came from FreeCycle, and my serger was given to me by a friend of my mother's.

The sewing machine I will introduce to you today is an old Sears Kenmore I just got on Friday. It *cough*doesn'tactuallyworkproperly*cough*, but I have high hopes that all it needs is a deep cleaning. This afternoon I plan to go out to CVS and buy some cleaning solvent.

One of the things I love about this machine is the table it came on. The table is a desk with a flip-top lid, and the sewing machine folds down inside and is covered with the lid. So the table can be a desk, as well as a sewing machine table.

If I buy the right accessories, which seem to be easily available off eBay, this machine is capable of doing a stretch stitch and a zigzag stitch, as well as sewing buttonholes. My other machine needs attachments which I can't find anywhere for these things. That's why I got this machine. It will broaden my sewing capabilities greatly--for example, I tend to avoid things with more than one buttonhole.(Of course, this assumes I can get the machine working properly....)

Enough words! How about some photos:




My apologies for the horrible photo quality. The machine and table are too heavy for me to carry upstairs alone, and as a result they are sitting in the living room, where the lighting is quite poor after sunset, when these photos were taken.

No comments:

Blogs I read