Monday, April 26, 2010

My serger

Here's my serger, pictured with the blind hem foot my twin sister Teresa gave me last year:

This is a Brother 1034D serger. I got it for free from a friend of my mother's. Someone had thought it was a sewing machine and given it to her daughter, or something. I don't really remember the story in great detail. But I do know it ended with this serger being handed on to me. Technically, it belongs to the entire family, but I use it most and I have already obtained permission to take it to college. So I call it mine.

I will be the first to admit that I don't really know what all this machine can do. I mostly use it for serging my seam allowances on clothes I think will unravel. It is supposed to be able to do a blind hem as well. It probably can, but I have been having a hard time figuring out how exactly it should work. I have the right foot and I think the right settings, but it hasn't worked out quite right yet.

I must admit, I thought I would use a serger more than I actually do. It's a pain to set up, due to the many threads, and although I do try to keep it threaded, it's not that unusual for the machine to unthread itself, at least partially.

No comments:

Blogs I read