Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Real sewing!

If by real sewing you mean sewing 280 seams about five inches long. I'm making a quilt! I've been saving old jeans for quite a while, and cutting squares out of them, as well as salvaging the zippers for new pairs of pants.

Over the course of the past three days, I took all these squares:
Rather than laying them all out on the floor and arranging them, I decided to toss them all in a box, mix them up, and pick them out randomly to sew them together. See?
I then just started sewing. Yes, it did get quite boring. Luckily the seams are short and the fabric is denim, which is a fabric I really like. I need to get myself some new headphones, though, so I can listen to music while I sew. As of about an hour ago, all these random squares had been turned into this:
Yes, it still does look like a heap of squares, but trust me, it's actually turned into a bunch of long strips. Next up, deciding which order to sew these strips together in!

4 comments:

Sylvia said...

I'm currently making a bias cut flannel pieced pillowcase for my grandmother. Well, okay, not currently currently, but it's on my project stack with a few strips done. Okay, so I don't have a project stack - it's on one of my (many) project stacks. OKAY! OKAY! It's not in a project stack! It is a project stack! Now I'm being too technical.

Sylvia said...

Oh, and how are you finishing the seam allowances? 'Cuz denim frays like crazy. Or you could have the seam allowances really big, and put them on the outside, and machine wash it so that they would fray on purpose.


(CAPTCHA says apeas. Whose peas? Whom do I need to appease?)

Sophie Miriam said...

Hmm...I wasn't finishing the seams at all. Is that going to cause problems that I'll live to regret? I could serge them all, I suppose.

Sylvia said...

Probably not. If you did serge them, you'd need to serge each side of the seam allowance in each seam, so it wouldn't be bulky. So that would be more work than you want. Really. Though in another five hundred years perhaps it will be taken apart by anthropologist/historians and they'll find a ton of denim bits inside...

Blogs I read