Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Easy scarf tutorial

Now, be warned...when I say easy, I mean easy. This scarf doesn't even involve any sewing! My dorm made these for homeless people as part of our service challenge. (It's my school's 125th anniversary, and we've been challenged to perform 125,000 hours of service this year.) This scarf was fun to make and very easy. It would be a great project to do with a youth group or a bunch of small children or anywhere there are a lot of people who don't know how to sew.

You need: fleece, a pair of scissors

Step one: Cut two long rectangles of fleece. The idea is for them to be the same width, but it doesn't have to be exact. The ones in my photos aren't, and you can't tell. Our experiments showed that a width of about a foot is good, but again, pretty much anything over 6 inches will work.

Step two: Starting along a long edge, cut slits into the fleece. These slits should go slightly less than halfway across the fleece, through both layers.
Step three: Do the same thing on the other side. Make sure that you don't cut across the fleece so far that you get two short scarves. (This is why it's good to not cut all the way to the middle.) Step four: This is (in my opinion) the hardest step. Start tying the strips you just cut together. Tie one from each layer on the same side. A single knot will usually suffice, but if you have long strips you might want to try a double knot. (My RA liked them better will two knots; I liked them better with one.)This step can be a little tricky because the fleece will twist around and it can be hard to tell which strips go together. Luckily, it's not that important--if you make a mistake, no one will be able to tell once the scarf is done. (Unless you accidentally start tying strips from the same piece of fabric together and wind up with a scarf that suddenly splits into two pieces!)

There are no more steps--once all the knots are tied, you're done!

This is the second scarf I finished. They were all the same color, so I didn't bother to take a picture of the first one.
(Sorry for the less-than-optimal photo quality. Cell phone pictures, what can I say?)

2 comments:

McVal said...

What a great idea! I've got so much fleece these would be perfect.

Sophie Miriam said...

Thanks!

Blogs I read