Monday, October 1, 2012

Costume shop photos!

I realized yesterday that I don't think I've ever posted photos of the costume shop. It's a pretty wonderful sewing place, and I am extremely jealous of it.

There are five regular sewing machines and one industrial one, and a vintage serger. We have two Japanese industrial irons and a large ironing table. There are two cutting tables and a giant rack for costumes in progress. There are half a dozen dressmaking forms and dozens and dozens of drawers for notions and the like.

It's a relatively hard place to photograph with a cellphone, but here are the two shots I did get.
 This is the ironing table. You can see that, rather than having water compartments in them, the water is in plastic buckets hanging from the ceiling. We are told that if you run out of water, Very Bad Things happen. Since these irons cost about $800 each, we all periodically check the water, even if we're not ironing. The cabinets in the back hold bias tape, serger thread, and corset supplies.
This is one of the cutting tables, and the fabric wall. The wall is where all the scraps of leftover fabric go. They get used for alterations, for practicing skills, for smaller projects, and so on. The bolts of fabric go underneath this table--you can see the underneath section in the lower right hand corner.
Those red chairs are a coveted item in the shop--some days there are more people than chairs!

The other cutting table looks similar, so I didn't take a photo of it, and everyone knows what sewing machines and clothes racks look like.


I also have some pictures of the costumes we're currently working on, but I don't know if they're supposed to stay secret until the show goes up, so to be on the safe side I'll save them. If you're in the DC area, you should come see it. The costumes we are working on are gorgeous, and in my opinion they alone would be worth the ticket price!

No comments:

Blogs I read