Monday, January 21, 2013

Diagnosis!

As some of you may know, I've been having joint pain issues for years now. Today, I finally made it to a doctor who would listen to me, and I have a diagnosis. Actually, two. I have the beginning of osteoarthritis in my hands and misaligned kneecaps.

I'm relieved. I had been thinking this was worse, because something that caused pain in so much of my body must be bad. It never really occurred to me that I might have two different problems! I have a nice conservative doctor who doesn't want to rush to medicine, and so I am under the following instructions: "Don't worry. Live your life. But come back in six months so I can check on you, ok?" He wants me to strengthen the muscles around my knees, which I will do, and other than that, not to take any serious steps. When I get back from overseas, we'll reevaluate.

Where does this leave my sewing? I don't really know. But he said not to worry, and he knows I sew, so I will continue to live my life, sewing and all, and we will see where that leads me!


2 comments:

K2 said...

I have the misaligned kneecaps too. Your doctor is right, if you strengthen your thigh muscles, it will help. It pulls the kneecap back into alignment. Think about your posture too. If you stand with your back arched and your butt out a little it can rotate your knees in which increases the pressure on the kneecaps. Even small posture adjustments can help.

Sarah Liz said...

Lots of people have joint problems and certainly a conservative approach is best. I have lots of problems too, but sewing helps keep the mind occupied and the discomfort lessens.

Blogs I read