Sunday, March 10, 2013

The Technikmuseum in Berlin

There is a museum of technology in Berlin. It's incredibly large! I agreed to go because I thought K would really enjoy it, and I had nothing against seeing old trains, airplanes, and so on. To my surprise, there was a lot of sewing related stuff as well! Here are a few photos from the day.

 This enormous loom can create several ribbons at once. Each ribbon has a different pattern, too!

 The loom runs on punch cards. I had no idea that was a thing.

 One of the finished ribbons.

 A vintage Singer you could touch.
 It also had a description of how sewing machines work.

 This machine turned the threads from the spools below into a thicker cord.

 A machine for hat making.

 This machine was so pretty. I wanted to keep it. I believe it was used for making sails.

This machine is the monster one. Those proportions you're seeing in the photo are real. It was huge! This one was used to sew multiple layers of thick sailcloth. Imagine what you could do with a machine this size! (Answer: anything!)

That's not all my photos, of course, but those are the sewing highlights of the technical museum. If anyone is ever in Berlin, I would recommend it. (Caveat: the signs are mostly in German only.)

No comments:

Blogs I read